Lisa Von Eschen counsels businesses and non-profit organizations on employment law compliance issues, including exempt classifications, leaves of absence, payroll, discipline, grievances, terminations and reductions in force. Her practice includes advising companies and executives on employment contracts, commission and bonus plans, restrictive covenants, trade secret and confidentiality issues, and severance agreements. She routinely drafts and audits personnel policies and handbooks, leads internal investigations, and conducts preventive training sessions on harassment and other employment topics.
When employment disputes cannot be prevented or resolved, Ms. Von Eschen does not hesitate to litigate her clients’ matters before administrative bodies and courts. Formerly a partner with Latham & Watkins LLP, she has more than twenty-five years of commercial litigation experience. In employment matters, her expertise extends to individual discrimination and wrongful termination cases, as well as systemic discrimination and wage and hour class actions. She has conducted successful trials in both the California federal and state courts, and argued (and won) appellate victories before the California and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal.
In 2018, Ms. Von Eschen was named to the Daily Journal’s list of Top Women Lawyers. She resides in the South Bay with her husband and children, where she gives back to the community with volunteer service on boards such as the Peninsula Education Foundation, National Charity League and PressFriends, Inc.
- Develop and audit human resources infrastructure and employment policies.
- Pre-litigation resolution of employee disputes including wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, and claims involving compensation/overtime, commission sales plans, non-solicitation/non-compete covenants, and alleged theft of trade secrets.
- Obtained summary judgment for corporation dismissing breach of contract and tort claims by temporary staffing agency.
- Represented owner of insurance brokerage company in complex multiparty actions involving breaches of employment, bonus, management and LLC operating agreements.
- Successfully defended private school in arbitration of wrongful termination claim by former Director.
- Represented company in wage and hour class action involving couriers paid on a piece rate basis.
- Defended executive in sexual and racial harassment and retaliation suit against major film studio.
- Contributing Author, American Bar Association 2018 Mid-Winter Report of 2017 Family and Medical Leave Act Cases, February 2018
- Author, “2018 California Employment Laws,” January 2018
- Author, “Know the Basics to Avoid an Uptick in Household Employee Claims,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 2017
- Author, “Los Angeles Bans the Box,” February 2017
- Author, “2017 California Employment Laws,” January 2017
- Author, “California Employment Law Update,” June 2016
- Author, “New 2016 California Employment Laws,” January 2016
- Quoted, “Renewed Attention to ADEA,” Human Resource Executive Online, November 2017
- Quoted, “More Big Firms Hit with Sex Discrimination Suits,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 2017
- Quoted, “Booze, Sex and Legal Drama: How the ‘Bachelor’ Scandal Could Reshape Reality TV,” The Hollywood Reporter, June 2017
- Quoted, “California Law Aims to Protect Janitors from Harassment and Wage Theft,” Society for Human Resource Management, March 2017
- Quoted, “Aon Gains Upper Hand in Non-Compete and Poaching Lawsuit v. Alliant,” Insurance Journal, March 2017
- Panelist, “#MeToo in the Legal Profession,” Daily Journal Women Leadership in Law Conference, May 2018
- Presenter, “Equal Employment Opportunity, Harassment and Discrimination,” California State Bar Business Law Section Webinar, January 2018
- Presenter, “Equal Employment Opportunity, Harassment and Discrimination,” California State Bar Financial Institutions Committee, September 2017
- Panelist, “The Career Trajectory of Women in Law: Paths and Opportunities,” Daily Journal Women Leadership in Law Conference, May 2017
- Presenter, “Compliance with California Employment Laws in 2016 and Beyond,” Private Foundations Presentation, September 2016
- Presenter, “Employment Laws Affecting Financial Institutions: Compliance in California in 2016 and Beyond,” California State Bar Financial Institutions Committee, September 2016